I live in Portugal and I had an accident ocurred in a country belonging to EEA (European Economic Area) and caused by a vehicle normally based and insured in other EU Member State. Can I claim my damages in Portugal?


Yes, you can settle the claim in your country. Therefore, you should ask the Information Centre about the liable vehicle's insurer claims representative, in order to present your claim.

In case the foreign insurer failed to appoint a claims representative, in your country or if, within three months from the date you have presented the claim, the insurance undertaking or its claims representative has not provided a reasoned reply, you could claim your damages to the Compensation Body that, in Portugal, is the Motor Guarantee Fund.

The ASF websites use cookies to improve performance and user experience. To learn more about cookies and how they are used on our websites, please go to our privacy policy You can choose to enable or disable cookies. However, some parts of our websites may not function properly if cookies are disabled.