The Autoridade de Supervisão de Seguros e Fundos de Pensões (ASF, the Portuguese Insurance and Pension Funds Supervisory Authority) is the national authority responsible for the regulation and supervision of insurance, reinsurance, pension funds and their management companies and insurance mediation, both from a prudential and a market conduct point of view.
The ASF aims to ensure the proper functioning of the insurance and pension funds market in Portugal, in order to contribute to guarantee the protection of policyholders, insured persons, members and beneficiaries.
This mission is achieved through the promotion of stability and financial soundness of all institutions under its supervision, as well as by maintaining high conduct standards by operators.
The ASF is governed by a set of values that guide the definition and implementation of its strategies and policies, namely:
- The primacy of public interest;
- The protection of the interests of insurance and pension funds consumers;
- Independent and responsible actions;
- Integrity, consistency and transparency in action;
- Effective, efficient and socially responsible operation.